Monday, November 19, 2012

Hummels:: Thompson, PA family session

Karl and I met sometime in elementary school...I think it was 2nd grade. And throughout our years in school, we probably said hi to each other, but I don't remember interacting with him much until high school. Karl became my 'big brother' and we'd often joke about how we couldn't be more different. We hung out in different social circles, and people used to ask us (separately) why we were friends with each other. After high school graduation, our school put on this event called 'Project Graduation' - an all-nighter at some sports complex. And we took a picture that night...a picture that would be hung in the room of my dorm freshman year of college. And Karl and I went to dinner one night while I was home on a break freshman year, but after that, Karl and I rarely spoke.

I have a knack for remembering birthdays, and each time September 24th would come along, I'd remember him in the back of my mind as my friend, but knowing little about what was going on in his life. One day in 2007, my mom mentioned she ran into Karl down town, and shortly thereafter we reconnected. Karl came over to my childhood home and as we sat on the couch, he told me he was engaged and getting married in a few months. We caught up as best we could - how do two people catch up on nearly 8 years of life events? - and promised we'd meet up soon. Soon was indeed soon and we met at a restaurant so I could meet Courtney, his fiance. She was super sweet and of course had been caught up on Karl's and my friendship over the years. And while I was there, they invited me to attend their wedding, now only weeks away, if I was free.

So I had the privilege of attending their wedding and seeing one of my childhood friends get married. I couldn't be more honored to be invited and see my 'big brother' so happy. I knew I wasn't going to let our friendship fall by the wayside again, so for the past five or so years, we've kept up with each other. When he comes into town, we try and see each other. Courtney and I have gotten together, and it's been great to develop a friendship with her too. Soon after they got married, they found out they were having their first child. Now they are a family of three....and their son, Trey, is just so cute.

I'm grateful to have a friend like Karl in my life. We've often said of our friendship that even if years go between talking, we've the type of friendship where if we need help from the other, we'd be there just as soon as we could. Karl came to see me after I had my back surgery last year, and it was such a kind gesture that he stayed true to his promise to come see me.

Well, this August, I was near their home photographing a wedding, and called to see if I could visit. I was glad to finally be able to see where they lived, and to spend some time with them. While I was there, we were able to do a quick family session and I was able to take some pictures of Karl and Trey as they walked down their long driveway to get the mail.

Karl and Courtney, I'm so glad I was able to come visit. Thanks for opening up your home to me. I look forward to the many more years of friendship....













Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment